Raymond Myles: Judge Shot Dead Outside His Home
Raymond Myles: Judge Shot Dead Outside His Home

Judge Raymond Myles was killed Monday morning outside his Chatham home in a shooting that left a 52-year-old woman injured.

Police found Raymond Myles, 66, shot multiple times when they responded to a report of gunfire at the address on the city’s South Side, according to Anthony Guglielmi, a spokesman for the Chicago Police Department.

Myles was an associate judge in Cook County Circuit Court’s Criminal Division, according to the court’s website. Cook County includes Chicago, the third-largest city in the United States.

The incident started when a woman exited the home and encountered a man with a gun at around 5 a.m. local time, Chief of Detectives Melissa Staples said at a news conference.

Words were exchanged before the man fired, hitting the woman once. Hearing the gunshots, Myles exited the residence to investigate and was shot multiple times, dying of his wounds.

The female victim is receiving treatment at a local hospital and is expected to recover, police said.

Police are investigating the motive for the shooting and have several leads on the identity of the shooter, Staples said.

Myles had received threats in the past because of his work but Staples declined to comment on possible links between Myles’ cases and the shooting.

The killing was “a direct attack on the criminal justice system that keeps our society safe,” First Deputy Superintendent Kevin Navarro said.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation is offering a $25,000 reward for information leading to a suspect, police said.

Myles was first appointed to the Circuit Court of Cook County in 1999, according to a statement from court, and served in the criminal division starting in 2009.

Chicago’s struggle to curb violent crime has drawn national attention as the number of people murdered in the city last year rose to more than 760. President Donald Trump has repeatedly singled out the city for failing to quell the violence.

SHARE
Previous articleOscar Munoz: United CEO Calls Ejected Passenger “Disruptive and Belligerent”
Next articleRakhmat Akilov: Stockholm suspect ‘admits truck attack’
Content created by France Hebdo is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact [email protected]

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here